Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The paper light and the ink light are both on. Epson stylus…

Customer Question
The paper light and...

The paper light and the ink light are both on

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson stylus photo 1400

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Stylus?

2 days

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I haven't...i've had it for 3 years

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's my only problem

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Printers
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Any answers yet
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Technician: John Holland, Consultant replied 20 days ago
John Holland
John Holland, Consultant

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Just a couple of further questions, please. They may seem basic but you are my eyes to the printer.

Is the printer not printing with these lights on? When was the last time the printer worked? Have you replaced any toner cartridges recently? Is there paper in the paper tray?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No it’s not printing...Friday...about a month ago...there’s no paper in the tray

Okay, please place some paper where you load paper. Are the Paper and Ink lights on steadily, flashing rapidly, or alternating back and forth, on/off?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Alternating back and forth

Okay, alternating flash means that an unsupported device is connected to the PictBridge port. Only devices compatible with PictBridge or USB DIRECT-PRINT can be connected to this port. See more information at this link: Direct Printing from a Digital Camera or Camera Phone.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I dont understand what I need to do

Sorry, have you plugged a device into the port in the front lower left of the printer? If the lights are alternating, there should be something plugged in there that might not be compatible. See this link for more information: Direct Printing from a Digital Camera or Camera Phone

If that is not the case, there are other ways the lights might be flashing, and reasons for this:

Both lights flashing rapidly:
Paper is loaded for printing, but the CD/DVD tray guide is open. If you want to print on paper, close the CD/DVD tray guide. If you want to print on a CD or DVD, remove the paper from the sheet feeder.

Power Light is on, Paper and Ink lights flash alternately:
An unsupported device is connected to the PictBridge port. Only devices compatible with PictBridge or USB DIRECT-PRINT can be connected to this port. See Direct Printing from a Digital Camera or Camera Phone.

The power light is off; red paper and red ink lights flash
Paper may be blocking movement of the print head or the printer may have an internal error. Turn off the printer, then open the cover and remove any jammed paper or other foreign objects. Wait a few seconds, then turn the printer on again. If the lights are still flashing, contact Epson as described in Where to Get Help.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I’ve never plugged anything into the printer and there’s no paper jammed in it

If you see the port on the lower left front and it is empty, then the printer might have something prohibiting the movement of the printer. The last time it turned on, did you hear the print head move? Follow the toner replacement procedure and make sure the toner cartridges are installed properly, and the print head unit is seated properly.

Paper may be blocking movement of the print head or the printer may have an internal error. Turn off the printer, then open the cover and remove any jammed paper or other foreign objects. Wait a few seconds, then turn the printer on again and see of this fixes the issue. Otherwise the printer might need to go to a printer repair shop for servicing as we have covered all the user fixable steps.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It won’t even move the ink tray

It sounds like the cartridge is binding the carriage. Unplug the unit and physically move the carriage to the center. Check that you have the proper cartridge and that it is firmly installed. Plug in the unit and turn it on. Please let us know what happens.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I’m having a hard time getting it out...how do I do thst

You should only remove the ink cartridge. Then you can move the printer head carriage.

With POWER OFF.

• Open cover of the printer.

• Open the cartridge cover by pressing down on the tab and lifting it up.

• Grab the sides of the ink cartridge and pull it out. Sides mean the end closest to you and the end furthest away from you.

• Repeat until each ink cartridge is out.

Then you can try sliding the carriage over. Sometimes a paper clip or rubber band or something similar could be stuck in there if it wasn't the ink cartridges.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
My tray is all the way in the right corner

Oh, it looks like it is jammed to the right and that's why you can't get the top open. This is tough. Have you unplugged the power cord completely? If not please do and let the printer sit a few seconds. Can you get something like a wooden ruler (not metal) in between the top right side of the carriage and the main printer body? I'd be looking to gently pry the carriage to move it to the left. There could be something that has seized or clogged the roller pins underneath.

If that doesn't work, you can try and run the Printer check and see if that will move the printer carriage. Follow these steps:

Running a Printer Check

You can run a printer check to determine whether a problem comes from the printer itself or some other source.

Before you run a printer check, make sure the CD/DVD tray is not inserted in the printer.

1. Turn off both the printer and computer. Then disconnect the USB cable from the printer.

2. Make sure letter-size plain paper is loaded in the printer.

3. Press the paper and power buttons together to turn on the printer. Continue holding down the paper button until the green power light starts to flash, then release it.

A test page prints showing the printer’s ROM version number and a nozzle check pattern. (If the pattern has gaps, you need to clean the print head.)

4. Turn off the printer after it prints the test page. Then reconnect the cable and turn on your printer and computer.

• If the test page prints, the problem probably lies in your software settings, the cable, or your computer. It’s also possible that your software may not be installed correctly. Follow the instructions in Uninstalling Printer Software to uninstall and reinstall your software.

• If the test page doesn’t print, you may have a problem with your printer. Try the suggestions in Problems and Solutions. If nothing works, then you might need to replace the printer.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I notice that there’s a red light on in the left inside of the printer

Sorry if I am repetitive, but the power cord coming from the wall or surge strip should be disconnected from the printer. If you have any USB or networks cables, unplug them just to be safe. Sometimes power can come into the printer from those sources also.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I’ve done everything and I still can’t get it to move

Did the red light go out? Is it near the USB plug on the front?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No it didn’t

That's interesting. If everything is unplugged then you should have no lights on.

One procedure to try with the printer on is trying to force the ink cartridge to move using the INK button. This printer makes you push the INK button once for every low or missing cartridge as detailed below.

Did you go through these steps before we started? Here are the steps with the printer powered on:

Removing and Installing Ink Cartridges

Be sure you have a new ink cartridge before you begin. Once you start replacing a cartridge, you must complete all the steps in one session.

Caution:
Leave the expended cartridge installed until you have obtained a replacement, or the ink remaining in the print head nozzles may dry out.
To ensure good results, use genuine Epson ink cartridges and do not refill them. Other products may cause damage to your printer not covered by Epson’s warranty.

Note:
Do not open ink cartridge packages until you are ready to install the ink. Cartridges are vacuum packed to maintain reliability.

1. Make sure the CD/DVD tray is not inserted in the printer.

2. Make sure the printer is turned on, but the green power light is not flashing.

3. Open the printer cover.

4. Press the ink button. The power light begins to flash.

Caution:
Do not hold down the ink button for more than 3 seconds or the printer will start to clean the print head.

• If one of the cartridges is low or expended, the print head moves that cartridge to the mark. Go to step 5.

• If no cartridges are low or expended, the print head moves to the ink cartridge replacement position. Go to step 6.

Caution:
To avoid damaging the printer, never move the print head by hand.
Do not touch the area shown below when you are changing ink cartridges.

5. Press the ink button again.

If more than one cartridge is low or expended, the next cartridge moves to the mark. Press the ink button to continue checking cartridges.

After the printer identifies all the low or expended cartridges, the print head moves to the ink cartridge replacement position.

6. Open the cartridge cover.

7. Squeeze the tab at the back of the cartridge and lift it straight out. Dispose of it carefully. Don’t take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.

Warning:
If ink gets on your hands, wash them thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets in your eyes, flush them immediately with water.

8. Remove the new cartridge from its package.

Caution:
Do not touch the green IC chip on the side of the cartridge. Doing so may prevent normal operation and printing.

9. Remove the yellow tape from the bottom of the ink cartridge.

Caution:
You must remove the yellow tape from the cartridge before you install it; otherwise, print quality may decline or you may not be able to print.
Do not remove or tear the label or other seals on the cartridge; this can cause leakage.

10. Place the new ink cartridge into the cartridge holder and push it down until it clicks into place.

11. Replace any other cartridges that need to be replaced.

12. Close the cartridge cover.

13. Close the printer cover.

14. Press the ink button. The printer begins charging ink.

The green power light flashes and the printer makes noise. Charging takes about two minutes. When it’s finished, the green power light stops flashing and stays on, and the red ink light goes out.

Caution:
Never turn off the printer while the green power light is flashing, or you’ll waste ink.

Note:
If the red ink light stays on, an ink cartridge may not be installed correctly. Open the printer cover and press the ink button two or more times. Then open the cartridge cover and press down all the ink cartridges until they click into place. Close the cartridge and printer covers, and press the ink button to charge the ink.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I’m sorry...the red light did go out once it was unplugged

Did you try powering on and following the last process? Step 4 explains that the printer will actually pause at each low or expended cartridge before the carriage moves completely. You will have to keep pressing the Ink button.

I think that if this doesn't get the printer to respond, its time for a new printer. I upgraded years ago to cheap color laser printers, like from HP at Office Depot. You never have these issues and I have sometimes gone over a year without replacing a laser toner cartridge. Its much easier than ink jet technology and the prints are beautiful.

We spent a lot of time on this. I am sorry that the printer is not responding to our efforts to revive it.