Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

About every inch what should be black print is light red.

Customer Question
About every inch what...

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

XP-640 Small-in One Printer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

Several months

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Don't know - whenever it tells me to.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
5/28/2018
Technician: Ugo A, Computer Software Engineer replied 2 months ago
Ugo A
Ugo A, Computer Software Engineer

Good afternoon,

My name is Ugo.

- Have you checked that your printer still has black ink in the appropriate cartridge ?

- Is print preview turned off ? If not, turn it off. The feature sometimes has a side effect of causing color changes during printing.

Please let me know how you progress. Thanks.

Where is print preview

The print preview option can be seen when you try to print something. View the picture here: https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/wf7010/wf7010ug/source/printers/source/printing_software/printing_windows_business/tasks/selecting_basic_windows_bus_wf7010_7510_7520.html

The print-preview checkbox is at the bottom-center section of the photo of the print screen. Please attempt to do that before we have any remote or phone session.

Let me know how things are working out and I will continue to advise. Thanks.

When will someone be available?

i"m available right now. I just don't want you to spend money that you don't have to troubleshooting a problem that might be as simple as you restarting your printer.

Were you able to turn off print preview ? Have you tried to restart your printer ? What about your black ink cartridge - when is the last time you replaced that ? These are all things that need to be attempted in order to fix the problem. Can you do those things please ?

I will turn off computer, then turn it back on. I have checked ink levels - all seem fine.

Ok, let's run a nozzle check:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd53888/source/printers/source/ink_functions/tasks/wf7710_7720/checking_nozzles_lcd_wf7710_7720.html

Please let me know the results of that check.

Ok

Ok

I have checked all that but nothing seems to work.

Ok, well at this point, I only have one other thing to try. And since you've requested remote assistance (but I can't remote into a printer), what I can do is just have a quick phone call with you tomorrow if you'd like.

What time would you like to speak tomorrow ? Please include the time zone in your reply.

Please call my land line(###) ###-####between 8 and 10 am Central Daylight Time Tuesday, May 29. My hearing is poor and I hear better on a land line. I am 84 yr old with a husband in poor health. Please be patient with me.

Hi again. Can we make this an afternoon appointment please ? I have other activities scheduled during my morning hours.

Did you get my reply at 5:52 pm
OK - between 1 and 3 pm Central Daylight Time - the earlier the better.
You don't need to call. I fixed it. It occurred to me that the stripe only appeared on copies that had a colored picture as part of the copy. I pulled the photo black ink cartridge out and found a smudge on the back of it - wiped it off, put it back and now all copies look fine.