Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

A lot. Right now, it is not printing black text. Red tex and…

Customer Question
A lot. Right...

A lot. Right now, it is not printing black text. Red tex and yellow highlight bars do print correctly. I have a Pixma MG5220

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Surface pro 3

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

Could not print at all yesterday. I just reloaded the drivers and now it is printing but without the black text.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
4/3/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

Thank you I do not want to connect remotely. Please tell me how to fix this problem.

I think it is likely that your printer has a problem in the inking system, not in the drivers - but, it's best to check first before going farther with this, by doing one page of black-text black-only photocopy using the printer's own controls and buttons. If it lacks black, or comes out blank, then I recommend proceeding as follows:

In outline:
1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Using the Setup or Settings menu, the Maintenance function in that menu, on the printer.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

I will follow your advice.

OK... let me know, by and by, how it goes. I will advise further as needed.

Good evening

Sure! have a good evening.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ? If my advice helped, please rate my answer, in Reply or at the top of the JustAnswer.com question page at https://www.justanswer.com/printers/b51gr-lot-right-now-not-printing-black-text-red-tex.html

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)