Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It wont print black ink. Epson wf-7620. 2 days. The other…

Customer Question
It wont print black...

It wont print black ink

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson wf-7620

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your WF-7620?

2 days

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

The other day i think

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No i think that's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
4/2/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

i bought this less than a year ago
i haven't printed that much
I think its an issue with the driver

Please try making a photocopy, directly from the glass, in black only mode.

How does that come out?

its still cleaning

Thank you

yeah no black
after i copied

This is not a driver issue then, if it wont' copy either, it is the printhead issue I mentioned above.

If the printer is used very little, that is actually worse for it than heavy use. If it is not used at least weekly the nozzles will dry out and clog up causing these exact issues.