Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

A great Monday morning to thee Ms.. I goofed!!! I have 6700…

Customer Question
A great Monday morning...

A great Monday morning to thee Ms. Wilson. I goofed!!! I have 6700 several years old. What I did was sent a print order. It printed fine, but since it had not been run for a few days, it goes into its self exam mode. Before it was done, I sent another print order. OOOPPPPs. I followed the instructions to turn the printer off and unplug it. Only 18 times. Instructions then say "If that does not work, call HP", So know on bended knee, I seek help from the kind and loving tech!!! (I hope you can help me. I am an old fart and struggle with this stuff) Wayne

Technician's Assistant: What HP model do you have?

6700

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your HP printer?

First time it is my fault

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Three years i bought this Dell new

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
4/2/2018
Technician: Syseng, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

I NEED ASSISTANCE!!! Tell me how to fix this please. Wayne
Just TELL me how to correct this problem!!!!!

Ok then next do the following:

On the printer front Panel select Setup > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults to reset printer to its factory defaults.

After the printer restarts, test to see if the issue is resolved. Please let me know the result.

David, I can follow what your lead is, BUT the display panel only shows the X signal and "print failure". Then the message to unplug the power and try to print. I have done that many times and the same message re-appears on the panel. I cannot get to the "setup" display. What do I do???

Next remove the ink cartridges, then power down the printer. Unplug the power cord. Wait 5 minutes.

Plug in the power cord and power up the printer. If the error does not display and you are able to access the menus, follow the procedure above to restore the printer to factory defaults.

David, nope. I did as you suggest. Waited 15 minutes, and replaced the ink cartridges, and got the same message on the panel. Hope you have some magic left. I also turned off the printer and turned it back on, same message.

Ok then is your computer able to connect to the printer and communicate even while the printer is in the error state? Does the same error appear on the computer?

I have Windows 10 David, and my settings file indicates the printer is there and I have no other report of not having a working printer.

Ok then next I recommend updating the printer firmware. To do that click the following link to open the HP downloads page for the printer:

click here

Select the firmware option then click the Download button to download and save the firmware update file to your computer. Then with the printer connected to the computer, double click the firmware file just downloaded and follow the prompts to complete the firmware update.

Then power down and power up the printer and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result.

I am still here, David, just very busy. Hope to work on this today. Lets hope this works, in the mean time, please answer this email so I can respond. Thanks

Hello and thanks for letting me know.

Once you have a moment to try the procedure above, please post the result and I will be notified and respond.