Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I've had my HL-4150CDN for about 6 years. Last month the…

Customer Question
Hi, I've had my...

Hi, I've had my HL-4150CDN for about 6 years. Last month the print started getting fainter and fainter and now most of the print is getting difficult to read. I just replaced the print drum but that did not help. I set the settings in MS Word for "Print Quality = fine". In Advanced settings is clicked "Enhance black printing" and "Color mode=Vivid", Nothing helped.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

What should I try to do next?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No error messages. The front opens downward and I can pull out the drum tray to access the toner cartridges.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That all I can think of. Thanks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
4/2/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

Hi - this is Expert Russell H. working with JustAnswer.com.

Try an internally generated test print, or configuration page, using it to make sure the problem is not with the software on the printer you are printing to... gradual onset does not suggest that, I admit, but it's best to be certain at the beginning.

Now, you might have a failing laser unit in the printer. That would match the gradual fading.

Laser units are somewhat more expensive to replace than some other parts... but repair-servicing of the printer would be necessary for sure, if that's the problem.

Unplug the printer from power for safety, and make sure by examining that the laser unit's 'window' - a glass sheet - is not occluded by leaking toner, which also would cause gradual fading if it were gradually being deposited on the 'window' in dispersed dust form. Wipe with a clean dry fine-quality lint-free cloth, to be sure that toner on the 'window' is not the problem.

How old is the printer, please?

And upon opening it, is there any sign of leaking toner anywhere in it?