Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It won't print colour. HP Envy 4520. A few weeks. I'm not…

Customer Question
It won't print colour ...

It won't print colour

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

HP Envy 4520

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

A few weeks

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I'm not sure it is windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

It prints colour from my mobile phone and on the test page

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Printers
4/2/2018
Technician: Md. Sadique, Engineer replied 20 days ago
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it took so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

If the printer prints colour from your phone, then it's a problem with the PC print settings. Would you like me to remotely connect to your PC and help you fix it?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
no I don't want you to remotely connect
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
There is no longer even an option to select colour print. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, followed all the directions on the HP website already

You have to download the full driver package to get all the print options on your PC.

Did you download and install the complete Driver set from HP website?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I did

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and you can stop any time using your mouse. And we have an A+ rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403

What happens when you try to print colour via your computer?

Does it print blank pages?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
it only prints in monochrome

Please go to control panel > view devices and printers > do you see your printer there?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
it's there

Right-click on your printer and select printing preference.

In the print preference window > tell me what all tabs you see.

for e.g. layout, paper/quality etc.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
you can't right click, but you can select 'manage'

Yes, you can on your printer icon. Please try again.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
printing preferences > printing shortcut tab:
paper type, print quality, pages per sheet, print on both sidesIt has also stopped automatically duplex printing and now I have to do it manually

Go to print/quality > what options do you see?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
There is a paper/quality tab.options for paper source; media and quality settings

Do you see any colour settings there?

Would you like to reconsider your decision for allowing me to remote into your computer?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No, as I said before, there is no longer an option to even select colour printing.No thank you, ***** ***** prefer to do it myself

Try looking for the option under printing preference which allows choosing between colour and B&W.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It is not there - I know how to change settings on a printer, and if I could select colour I would have already. Like I said - there is no option any more to select colour - either through the printer settings, or via other software you are trying to print from. The drivers are all updated, I've uninstalled and re installed - I don't know what else to try

Please try printing from mobile and let me know if you are able to print colour from the mobile phone now.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I can

It will be very difficult to troubleshoot without doing a remote session.

I'll opt-out and open this question to other experts.

Technician: Richard, Technician replied 20 days ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
No that didn't work
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 19 days ago

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I have done all the cleaning and aligning steps. It prints colour fine from my phone - so it is not an ink issue. It is something to do with how it is connecting to my computer.
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 18 days ago

How is the printer connected to your computer? Via wireless or USB?

And is the computer windows or a mac and which version?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Windows 10 64-bit. printer connected via wi-fi
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 17 days ago

Thanks

Click start, type in control and click on control panel

Then type in device there and click on devices and printers

Then right click the printer and select remove

Then restart the computer

Go back to devices and printers, then click on Add printer.

Click it in the list and install it

Then try to print it

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I will try this - but I have already done this step. Including manually removing all program and drivers and then reinstalling. Will see if it works this time.
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 16 days ago

Thank you

Richard, Technician