Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP 6520 Photomart printer. It has worked great --

Customer Question
I have an HP...

I have an HP 6520 Photomart printer. It has worked great -- until yesterday. The BLACK does not seem to print. I have changed the nearly full cartridge with a new one, but still get no BLACK out of it. I noticed it first when I tried to copy a document, and it printed all colors of the document, but not the BLACK. Same with printing from my documents online (like my bank statement today) Suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? If so, what do they say?

No message -- just no BLACK -- other colors seem to be OK. I needed to save a letter I wrote, so I did a select-all and changed the font to RED -- saved it OK in RED.

Technician's Assistant: The last time you changed your cartridges, did you replace them with new ones or refill the old ones?

New HP cartridge from COSTCO

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No -- can it be fixed, or is the printer kaput?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 24 days ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:
1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Not manually, but by using the Cleaning function in the printer's own Setup/Settings menu, perhaps under Maintenance - or, its equivalent on the computer, in the HP printer's software.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you -- I need to write this all by hand since I could not print it!
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 23 days ago

I'm sorry to hear that - I did write the instructions rather long, to ensure no mistakes were made. The basic version:

1. Cleaning (of printhead by menu function)

2. pause for 15 minutes to several hours, printer unused.

3. Another Cleaning, as (1)

4. another pause, as (2)

5. another Cleaning, then test print, see if black shows up ...

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Help!

What's wrong? how can I help with it?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
How do I do a remote connect so that you can fix it?

I cannot fix the problem with your printer... it's a problem in your printer.

Just follow the instructions... it has a good chance of working, if you are willing to follow those instructions over the course of at minimum 45 minutes (to overnight perhaps, if you don't have the time right now.)

If I tried to do it for you through the computer, you would have to tell me how it was coming out, etc. etc. So it is not really an approach for a Secure Remote connection, I am sorry to say.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks, Russell. The problem is that I cannot find #1. (I don't know where to look for the Setup/Settings menu.)

Go to the printer.

The Settings menu - it has a wrench or spanner icon. If it just isn't visible, press HOME first. Then it should show up.

Settings

Tools

Clean Printhead

is how to run a Cleaning on this model. I hope that helps.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you, Russell. I have done as you said, and the printer seems to be doing something! Yea!

Good. Each cleaning takes about 3 minutes to fully complete. No paper feeds through... usually, unless this model behaves differently.

The cleanings, and the pauses between them for the waste ink to soak into the printhead, are needed.

John, Computer Science Engineer