Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It won't print. Printer software says the printer is not…

Customer Question
It won't print. Printer...

It won't print. Printer software says the printer is not connected.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I have never updated it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Printers
3/31/2018
Technician: Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist replied 19 days ago
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

May I know the make and model number of your printer?

May I know the operating system you are using? Is it Windows 10?

How do you connect the printer to the computer? Using USB cable?

Are you able to copy like Xerox (photocopy) without using the computer?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Hi, the printer is an Epsom 640I am using a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.3Wireless connectCopies just fine.The printer displayed a message that I need to update the firmware. I tried several times to do this following the on-screen instructions but the printer cannot connect to the router.

Please try the following and let me know the result.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the Printers & Scanners window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.
    Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

If the issue persists, let me know the exact model number. E.g. Epson XP-640 or Epson Stylus Color-640

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Did #3 as you suggested and everything disappeared.
The dialogue box will not allow me to type anything in.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
The dialogue box will not allow me to type anything in.35 mins later. Response please
Technician: Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 19 days ago
Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you with this request.

Are you available for a remote session using teamviewer so I can check the problem with the printer?

Use this link to download teamviewer for mac.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac/

Install ti and open it, give me the id and password ***** I can connect

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
id. 297 490 220pw. 365rxr

Do you have the usb cable?

write the wifi password *****

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I can't remember it, but I will give it a few tries.

ok

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
can you set it up to work wirelessly please.

ok

Show me the printer setup

I think I lost connection

I says installation complete

Try to print something please

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
let me try and print something

ok

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
let me try and print somethingprinter dialogue box says printer is offline

let me try one last time

try setting up with the printer buttons

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
let me try and print somethingprinter dialogue box says printer is offlineNow it says it is out of paper. Plenty of paper, added more. opened and closed tray multiple times. still no go

ok

Did you print something?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It's no good, it won't set up!

Well, It seems like I cannot fix this problem.

I'll opt out the question so other expert can help you.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It's no good, it won't set up!OK
Technician: technicalcat, Consultant replied 19 days ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you now.

Sorry the previous experts didn't seem to get things working for you. Wireless printer setups can be difficult over Q&A to get working. The fastest and easiest way to fix these kinds of problems is a remote connection, which includes phone support. I can connect directly to your computer and call you and fix the problem while you watch and communicate with me. Would you like remote services?

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
lets just try something else first. Is there a way in which I can change the password ***** the printer?

The printer has no password. Based on previous conversation, it appears your printer is not connected to your wireless network. The challenge is connecting the printer to the wireless , and you need to use the standard/wizard setup on your printer. You'll select your SSID, and then you'll enter the password, carefully. You'll then get a confirmation that the printer is connected. You must not use WPS or pushbutton , but instead select a standard wireless setup.

This is all much easier with remote/phone, and I can guarantee we will get it working that way. I have sent you an offer. thanks.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
No thank you. it's not worth any more time and effort

If you don't want to pay for phone/remote service, that is fine. Just follow the instructions I previously sent to you. All printers are mostly the same in this way. You go to network setup, and proceed from there. Select your WIFI, enter password. Now, you may not know your password, and that's where remote access will be necessary, if we can get access to your router.

technicalcat
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant