Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Low ink but when I said ok it printed a blank. not age i put…

Customer Question
Low ink but when...

Low ink but when I said ok it printed a blank. not long age i put in new ink.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried running your printer's self-cleaning cycle? (Sometimes you have to run this several times to see results.)

No , how is this done?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Have you got a picture showing me where to clean?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/31/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the brand and model number of the printer?
Are all of the ink cartridges replaced and full now?

Epson3620
Thanks
These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic
board that controls it).
You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function
repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.
If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.
I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a
low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware
failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.
Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year
service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You
would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re
looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current
technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide
you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,