Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Problem with printer. I have installed 3 new ink cartridges,

Customer Question
Problem with printer....

Problem with printer. I have installed 3 new ink cartridges, color. Worked for 2 or 3 days. Went to print out greeting cards for April and first one - perfect. Now will only give me the message that I must use black only! I have removed the cartridges and put them back in. To no avail. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

I didn't do it but there IS a cord AND I have a router?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Whenever it asked me to. Maybe 3 - 6 months ago.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just to get it to work! Many thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
3/30/2018
Technician: Steve Asher, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Steve Asher
Steve Asher, Computer Support Specialist

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

If your printer detects any one of the color cartridges as bad/empty/missing it will force you to print only in black.

The first thing you need to do is remove all three color cartridges. While they are out, gently clean the gold contacts on each one with a qtip.

Also clean the mating surface of the contacts inside the printer. If they are overly dirty, dip the qtip in rubbing alcohol, squeeze out the excess and clean the contacts. Once this is done, reinsert the cartridges and see if this has resolved your issue. If the issue persists, then you likely have a bad cartridge.

Did the cleaning. No change. Can I discover which one is bad? I am sure you know how costly they are!

The cost of them, is why I buy cheap printers then toss them at the first sign of problems. If you still have the old cartridges, you can swap them back in unless they are completely empty in which case it will probably report the exact same error. What make and model is your printer?

Don't worry about the remote access. Being able to see your computer won't help me troubleshoot your printer.

Technician: Syseng, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

Do you still need assistance?