Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon Pixma MX882 -- B200 error. PC running Windows 10. Been…

Customer Question
Canon Pixma MX882 --...

Canon Pixma MX882 -- B200 error

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

PC running Windows 10. Been using it with the same printer for several years.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

I got the error a month or so ago. Been using my Canon MG6220, Epson ET-4550 and HP 1020 since with no problem with any of them. Would like to use the MX-882 again.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Been using the latest version of Windows since it came out. Automatically updates. I am also printing from another computer to all my printers and it will not print using the MX-882 either. The others all work fine.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Can my problem be fixed?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
3/28/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Already cleaned the printhead and tried solutions found on youtube.

The automated cleaning isn't what I'm referring to, it is to cleaning the electrical contacts on the back.

Even this though rarely works, it is essentially a form of planned obsolescence on the part of canon. The printer is already well over double what it was designed and built for, so this failure is expected it happens to virtually all canon printers as a matter of age. Replacing the printer at this point is really the best option, though if you have that epson, I'd stick with just using that.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.