Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Here. My Epsom sx510w/tx550w does not seem to be using the…

Customer Question
Hi, Diane here....

Hi, Diane here. My Epsom sx510w/tx550w does not seem to be using the black ink cartridge (brand new Epsom73N). I had a reasonably new cartridge installed when the problem frst occurred. All other cartridges are at leadt 3/4 full. The print colour is green and only the outline of the words are barely visible. Any graphics associated with what I'm printing are quite clear in v

Technician's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had to change the ink for your SX510W?

Sorry,....in blues & gren

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No Ive had it about 7 years and changed many cartridges. Never had an issue bwgore..

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think thats probably all

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
3/28/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use, especially on a printer this old.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Ok, thanks Nathan. Di

You're very welcome (please scroll up to see my answer sent a moment ago, if you have not already).

Yep, I thought that may be the case Nathan. A seven year itch on both computer & printer. New models coming up. Ciao Di

My pleasure

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,