Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My canon printer cuts off the middle of the letter

Customer Question
My canon printer cuts...

My canon printer cuts off the middle of the letter printed,It’s misaligned. So I thought it was low ink problem. Went to Staples and put in new ink cartridge.

Technician's Assistant: What Canon model do you have?

Same problem when printing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

PIXMA

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Printers
3/28/2018
Technician: Jennifer French, Technician replied 27 days ago
Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your printer issue today.

It actually sounds like your print head may need to be aligned.

Here is how to do this:

Wait. What is the exact model of your printer? PIXMA has many various models.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Canon picks mx472
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No

Ok thank you.

No?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Tell me how to fix it. No i don’t want to be charged $39 more
  1. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Load a sheet of plain paper in the front tray.

3. Open the output tray extension, open the paper output tray, then extend the paper output support.

4. Print the print head alignment sheet.

1. Press the Setup button.

The Setup menu screen will appear.

2. Select Maintenance, then press the OK button.

3. Select Head alignment, then press the OK button. The print head alignment sheet will be printed. Do not touch any printed part on the print head alignment sheet. If the sheet is stained or wrinkled, it may not be scanned properly. If the print head alignment sheet was not printed correctly, press the Stop button, then redo this procedure from the beginning.

Oh, I understand. That pops up completely out of my control and I am sorry for that.

5. Scan the print head alignment sheet to adjust the print head position.

1. Confirm the message, then load the print head alignment sheet on the platen glass.

Load the print head alignment sheet WITH THE PRINTED SIDE FACING DOWN and align the mark on the bottom right corner of the sheet with the alignment mark.

2. Close the document cover gently, then press the Color or Black button.

The machine starts scanning the print head alignment sheet, and the print head position will be adjusted automatically.

When adjusting the print head position is complete, remove the print head alignment sheet on the platen glass. Do not open the document cover or move the print head alignment sheet on the platen glass until adjusting the print head position is complete. If the error message appears on the LCD, press the OK button to release the error, then take appropriate action.

If this doesn't work, then you can align the print head manually from your computer.

Let me know if that works or doesn't. If it doesn't, I'll need to know what Operating system you are running on your computer.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Canon pixma mx47. The printed out sheet to scan only prints out a little say the schematic on how to do it and a little bit of alignment bars. Then it quits and beeps message Printer error occurred. Then I re do with same result printer error occurred

Go ahead and unplug the printer for about 5 minutes and plug it back it. Then we are going to try to do a manual alignment. What version of Windows or Mac OS do you have?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
IPAD bought 18 months ago so I don’t know what version of MAC

Try the automatic alignment one more time after plugging it back in.

Is the printer plugged into your mac or are you connected wirelessly?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok. Have it unplugged am retrying now

ok

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Didn’t work although it printed out more of the sheet to be scanned, then beeped “printing errors occurred.” Error 5100
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
wireless

Ok. That means that there is actually something in the printer obstructing printing. You may need to open up the printer and look in there with a flashlight to see if there any debris on the rollers, near the print head. You can also take out the ink cartridges and place them back if need be.

Personally, I like to take the cartridges out and unplug the printer. Then I will shake the printer over a trash can to get loose debris out. Usually paperclips or small bits of paper. If the rollers are dirty you can wipe them down with a slightly damp cloth (unplugged, of course) and let it dry and then see if that resolves the problem.

If you do this, and are still getting an error, then I would educated guess that there is an issue with the print mechanism and it probably needs to be serviced, but to be honest, it's usually way cheaper to just get another printer than to service an out of warranty device.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Support code 5100 comes up
Jennifer French
Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician