Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I can't get it to copy. It will print from the computer but…

I can't get it...

I can't get it to copy. It will print from the computer but not copy. It says"the paper setting is invalid". I followed the instructions to set the paper settings but it still doesn't work.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson ET 3600

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Epson printer?

Just the last day or two. I got it a month ago and just tried to copy something and the first time it didn't work. As I said the printer works from the computer but not the copy function

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily. Before we proceed with any troubleshooting, please once unplug your printer from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in. Let me know when this is done.

It still says the paper source is invalid.

How about the computer you have is that Windows?

IMac

Let me open this for other experts.

Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

try following these steps specifically to copy, and let me know if this works for you and if not, what exactly happens.

To make a copy:

1. Place your original document or photo on the bottom, right corner of the scanner glass.
  2. Press the home button, press the down arrow to select Setupand press the OK button.
  3. Press the down arrow to select Paper Setup, press the OK button.
  4. Press the right arrow to select Paper Size, and do one of the following:
    • If you're copying letter size paper select Letter, and press the OK button.
    • If you're copying a photo, select a size from the available paper sizes and press the OK button. The table shows compatible paper sizes and paper types.
  5. Press the down arrow to select Paper Type, and do one of the following:
    • If you're copying letter size paper, select Plain Paper, and press the OK button.
    • If you're copying a photo, select a size from the available paper types listed above, and press the OK button.
  6. Press the home button, press the up arrow to select Copy, and press the OK button.
  7. Press OK to adjust the Copy settings.

Note: The LCD displays the current Copy settings.

8. Under Settings, make sure the following is selected:
    • If you're copying letter size paper:
      • Layout is set to With Border.
      • Document Size is set to Letter.
    • If you're copying a photo:
      • Layout is set to Borderless or With Border.
      • Document Size is set to a paper size from the above table.
  9. Press back button.
  10. Press one of the Start buttons to make a copy in Black & White or Color.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Dustin,
I followed your instructions. When I pressed Start nothing happened and it said “The paper source setting is invalid”

What size paper are you using? Where specifically do you have the paper loaded?

And did you choose plain paper or choose a paper / photo size?

I have 8x11 paper loaded in the lower slide in compartment and I specified plane paper.

Ok, maybe theres an issue with the firmware not saving the settings when you copy.

Try to change the settings first as follows, and dont forget to select the correct paper source.

1. Press the down arrow, select Paper Setup, and press the OKbutton.
  2. Press the OK button again.
  3. Select the paper size you loaded and press theOKbutton.
  4. Select the paper type you loaded and press theOKbutton.
  5. Press the back button.
  6. Press the down arrow button, select Printer Settings, and press the OKbutton.
  7. Press the OK button again to select Paper Source Settings.
  8. Select the paper source settings you want to use and pressthe OKbutton.
  9. Press the home button to return to the homescreen.

Then try to copy. Does that work?

Dustin S.

It worked! Thank you so much! I was so frustrated. I will keep your instructions handy in case of further problems.

Youre very welcome. At this time it would be appropriate to click and submit a 5 star rating to show that I was able to assist you.

if you have further issues let me know.

Dustin S

Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist