Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Epson xp-830 printer wont recognize new ink cartridge and…

Epson xp-830 printer wont...

Epson xp-830 printer wont recognize new ink cartridge and wont print

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? If so, what do they say?

No it just says that ink is low... replaced with two new ones ...same thing. they are so expensive

Technician's Assistant: The last time you changed your cartridges, did you replace them with new ones or refill the old ones?

They are brand new... two brand new epson ink today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I did firm ware update. I unplug and restarted twice

3/27/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you using new/genuine epson inks, or generic "compatible" cartridges?

genuine epson

Thank you,

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

no it is wireless. I just need help not more charges

I am not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

Please focus on the chat here for this to be productive, by following the steps I sent previously, above.

I have done all the things it is has been saying that it is preparing the ink please wait...
It seems to read the ink as empty when it is not
Is there a way to change the settingd

There is no "setting" for this,

if the cartridge is not recognized, the above steps can be repeated once more to be safe, but beyond that, if it happened with multiple cartridges, then we're looking at a bad printhead and at that point the entire printer would need to be replaced. This is a 2015 model, so it is well into if not past its 3 year service life at this point.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

no it is not the printhead. It is just the settings epson has that make the printer continue to ask for new cartriges

It is not a setting.

If you initiate the ink change process from the menu and follow the proper installation steps, using oem cartridges, it is a printhead pcb issue of not communicating with the cartridges.

ok thanks

You're very welcome, and my apologies again for the news.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer