Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Brother HL 5370DW toner light will not go off. HL 5370DW.

Brother HL 5370DW toner...

Brother HL 5370DW toner light will not go off

Technician's Assistant: What Brother model do you have?

HL 5370DW

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Brother printer?

Started this morning when it ran out of toner. Replaced toner and it work for a little while and then when into toner error

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I have tried 2 reset methods online and a hard reset, No success

3/28/2018
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I tried the toner reset sequence numerous times. With printer off open the toner door, hold the go button and turn printer on, all lights will turn on, keep holding go button until status light goes off, press go button twice, the paper, drum and toner light will come on, press go button 6 times, status light will turn red, close toner door. Next I tried the hard reset by turning printer off when it is on by quickly removing power source and unplugging it from the computer, waited ten minutes and plugged it back in, turn the printer on. None of this worked. While waiting for your answer, I put the old toner cartridge in the printer and tried the toner reset sequence. It then reset itself, but the print was very light. I put the new (remanufactured) cartridge in the printer and the toner error light came on again. I did not have another toner cartridge to try so I emptied the toner in the new cartridge into the cartridge that would allow the printer to reset. It printed but it was very light. I shook the cartridge several times and it still printed light. I changed the drum and printed 5 copies. By the time it printed the last 2 pages they were totally blank pages. As mentioned in the original contact, the printer initially ran out of toner, we changed the cartridge and it printed fine for about an hour and then the toner error light came on and it stopped printing. The toner reset sequence has always worked before. I think we have a more serious printer problem.

How old is the printer?

2011

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one.

Thank you! I assumed that and ordered a new printer yesterday

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, Engineer