Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Our Epson Stylus Photo 1400 has been working great up until…

Second opinion] Hi Pearl...

Second opinion] Hi Pearl - Our Epson Stylus Photo 1400 has been working great up until last week.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

The print head is locked up.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Stylus?

This happened last week

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

We use Windows 7 on this machine. Can't really update it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Such as?

3/27/2018
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

Please tell me more about the problem. 'Printhead locked up' - not moving, physically? Is there an error message on the printer's display, if so, what is it exactly? Reply, let me know more, and I will be able to advise you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Russell -
Yes.....the printhead does not move at all. We powered off the machine and plugged it back in. There is a clunk sound like the head wants to move, but nothing happens after that. The two top buttons are flashing red alternately.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have no problem getting charged a reasonable fee to rectify our problem, but I feel like this format is going to cost me more than I want to spend if I get charged for every extra step or email question. I gave the last tech one star due to the request for remote access to my PC and the extra fee involved.

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

I think that this case is not one that will yield to a Secure Remote strategy, in any case. Shall I continue advising you?

If so, look inside the printer for the carriage that carries the cartridges. Is it to the left, or to the right and hard to see?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The carriage is to the far right. It's so far to the right that you cannot access the ink. There is a sticker/decal on top of the lid and there are six colors on the decal. You can see the first five colors, but the Blue is not visible due to the location of the carriage.

I get it. From the sound of it, your printer's carriage-position control is currently defective. This may be owing to a number of things: circuitry error in a control circuit board inside the printer, a loose or broken part, debris in the printer (e.g. scraps of paper, dust accumulation - ? - ), or a defective sensor or microswitch, doubtfully.

This will most likely require service-repairing of the printer, I'm sorry to say.

But first:

1. how old is the printer?

2. has it been moved?

3. do you work with paper-clips, staples, staple-removers, anywhere near the printer at any time?

4. is the printer plugged into a surge protector or other power filter? or directly into the wall outlet?

5. have you tried unplugging the printer from the power, leaving it that way for at least 1/2 hour to cool down and reset, and then tried it again? (if not, I suggest doing that, at least once... it has a small but measurably significant chance of 'fixing' the problem... if it is a circuit board malfunction that is only temporary...)

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Russell -
I'm not sure how old the printer is. My guess is at least 5 years old, probably older.
We have not moved it recently. The printer was working fine until last week. The printer has been converted to an all Black ink system (Black Max) for printing film positives for our screen printing shop.
We do not work with staples or paperclips near the machine.
The printer has been plugged into a power supply, but we have it direct into the wall at this time.
Yes, we have unplugged the power supply and the cord to the computer as well. We waited about 10 or 15 minutes before plugging it back in. This did not correct the problem.
Is there any way to manually release the carriage? I've seen some YouTube videos, but they look pretty sketchy. Sticking a small screwdriver behind the carriage to access a small White plastic piece.
What would you suggest......wasting more money on trying to repair an old machine, or biting the bullet and move on to a new machine? I noticed an Epson model 1403? Is that the next generation to the 1400?

A new machine might be the most efficient proposition, since no matter how cheap or quick (?) the repair, the cost would be for a still-old machine, possibly to break down again... and, yes, the Epson 1430 is somewhat newer, I think, than your current model.

It might take different ink. And, reconverting to black ink only might be considered as an added cost.

If you're getting rid of the current printer anyway, which is somewhat useless as it is, you might as well fumble with the carriage if you wish, though the chance of breaking something is considerable. Photograph that part of the printer first, and ADD+ the photograph to your next posting, if you can and if you like?

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ?

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi Russell -
I tried unplugging the printer and leaving it for 30 minutes, but that didn't work. I have ordered a replacement printer off of Ebay for now. Hopefully I can find someone locally that can fix the problem with this printer.Thanks
Mark

Would you like a listing of printer repairers in your region, that you might contact about this printer and its problem? if so, please tell me your local zip code.

If you're done with this case, please rate my work and my answers. Thank you.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
My zip code is 95301. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for rating. I am now, immediately, building a list of contact info for local repairers of printers, with emphasis on those that do repair HP printers of more or less the type you have.

You may expect another posting within another 1/2 hour.

Here are some:

Quality Printer Repair

*****/p>

Merced, CA 95348

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Valley Business Center - highly rated, but maybe a store and not a repair place

1223 W Main St

Merced, CA 95340

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Allied Graphics

4545 N Brawley Ave

Fresno, CA 93722

(###) ###-####/p>

or

K. Wilson & Company Inc.

Serving the Chowchilla Area.

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Printer Repair Pro Guys

Los Banos, CA

***-***-****

http://www.printerrepairproguys.com/ca/printer-repair-in-los-banos/

and there are others, if you do not like any of these. Let me know if you need other listings, I will provide others also if needed.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good evening!

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech