Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Will not print Cites error 0x97. Not sure

Will not print Cites...

Will not print Cites error 0x97

Technician's Assistant: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Not sure

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
To technician
I can't wait too much longer and will have to disconnect soon
Please let me know how much longer I will need to wait
3/27/2018
Nathan, Engineer
Can you please provide the model number of your printer?
Epson WorkForce-3620
ok
Thank you for checking. This is a hardware failure and cannot be fixed remotely.
Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will
almost certainly require service.
This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.
The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release
If still no change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical
either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half
that. Beyond the warranty, it would cost more to fix than to replace.
Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with replacement recommendations at that point if
needed.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,
Nathan, Engineer
no success, what is your recommendation?
It would be time to replace the printer. This is a 2013 model built for only a 3 year service life. It would not be worth fixing.

If looking for a replacement, I’d still recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5