Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an all in one fax, printer, scanner, copier model #

Customer Question
I have an all...

I have an all in one fax, printer, scanner, copier model # MFC-7840W. I recently had a situation where I needed to scan a real estate contract document and attach that document to an e.mail in a hurry. I Scanned it an saved the document to my computer desktop. Fortunately I opened the document before sending it and found that all 15 pages had multiple vertical streaks (about 30) down the pages. Since I have had to replace the Drum Units before (2015) and since I am located near an Office Depot outlet where I had seen a DR-360 on display I ran to the store and paid $142+ for the new drum unit and returned to my office and changed out the Drum unit. For scanning the same streaks were still there. I checked all other functions for the machine, copy, fax, print, etc and all were clean of any streaks. Since then I have reinstalled the removed Drum and get the same results - so it appears that the Drum unit is not the problem. I really need the scan function in my business and don't know what to do next.

Technician's Assistant: Is there an error code on your MFC-7840W when you try to scan?

I did not notice one since I did not look. The scan function worked just fine with no stoppage of the pages being fed into the machine and in making the PDF file.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I have never updated the drivers.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't know of anything else. The machine has been very good and has not given me any problems except when I changed out the Drum unit in 2015 after running the machine for a long time with the warning that the drum unit was nearing the end of its life and after changing the Drum the message was still there and eventually the machine froze up. Brother Technical help showed me how to reset to get rid o the error message. I did not have the message that the Drum unit was nearing the end of its life this time.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/27/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Brother scanning question.

The drum is not related to streaks when scanning.

Now, there are ways you can address some types of streaks on scanning. Other types require that the machine be service-repaired, period, unfortunately, and from your description I cannot be sure which type of streaking is involved in this case.

If the line produced is dark (not light / an absence of ink), then that is not usual in inkjet printers, at all... except, if the line is produced only on photocopies, and only on photocopies made of documents fed through the top feeder.

Such lines are from two possible causes, depending upon whether they are broad and blurry-edged, or relatively narrow and sharp-edged.

For the narrow and sharp-edged type, open the top of the printer, so that the glass sheet is showing. At the left, you should see a narrower strip of glass.

Take a fresh paper towel, and moisten it with warm water a little. Rub the narrower strip of glass to the left, firmly, many times over, with the moistened paper towel. Some black fleck or flakes should come off onto the paper towel. Then wipe clean and dry with dry paper towel, before the glass strip on the left dries.

Then try photocopying again.

If the line is blurry-edged, that is not easy for you to fix... whether it is absence-of-ink or a dark stripe. That sort is usually owing to a severe hardware defect in the scanner bar (that moves under the glass sheet, when you make a photocopy using the glass sheet.) That would require repairs to the printer.

A way of telling between the two types of defect or stripe, on photocopies: as well as making photocopies through the top feeder, also make one test photocopy of a single sheet original document placed face-down upon the glass sheet. If the stripe is also present in such a photocopy, then you have a scanner bar defect requiring repair, in all likelihood.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.