Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. Dell laptop. It just started this…

Customer Question
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 ...

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Dell laptop. It just started this about an hour ago, when I tried to put in a new black cartridge

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

There is a problem with the printer or ink system. That is what the command says. I have turned off, and on, and off, and on. Removed the printer cartridges, and the printhead.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
3/26/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.