Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Its not my printer. It is my HP Pavillion (i5) laptop. The…

Its not my printer...

Its not my printer. It is my HP Pavillion (i5) laptop. The fan has just started cycling every 15-30 seconds. Started yesterday. Has never done that. feels warm in the upper left hand corner. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your I5?

Since yesterday

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on your jo-1016

A few weeks ago, I believe

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so

3/25/2018
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

First, click the link below to download, install and run HWMonitor:

click here

Then check to see that the fans are running acceptably and that the CPU temperature is not running too high (acceptable is below 65 degrees C).

If both fans appear OK but temperature is high, get a can of compressed air and use it to blow the dust out of the fan area through the fan air intake grid (the fan output vent will be the one blowing hot air when you place your hand in front of it).

After the dust is blown out, reboot the computer and test to see if the issue still occurs.

Please let me know the result.

Syseng
Syseng, Engineer
David-
Your advice was sound but not applicable to my problem. I was thinking the same thing: it is probably dirty and the fan vents were clogged. I didn't run the HWMonitor because Byte Fence rejected it as malware. I ended up taking it in to my local Microsoft store to have them take the back off and clean it. The tech said it wasn't all that dirty. But what he did find was that a recent HP Bios update reset my fan controller to stay on all the time. He changed it back to only running when needed. He also said that HPs typically run hot. After the clean and the fan control reset, all is fine. But what I want to thank you for is your reasonable step-wise approach and evidence-based solution. Contrary to your advice, I had folks telling me the computer was dead, it would start smoking and burn up, or all my data would disappear when I least expect it. Best Buy Geek Squad said the computer has failed and to replace the power supply and hard drive. Anyway, you have a excellent rating in my book.Pete