Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer was invaded in a very bad way.....on Thursday of…

Customer Question
My printer was invaded...

My printer was invaded in a very bad way.....on Thursday of this week my husband opened an email and immediately there was a voice telling him we had problems with our computer...it was really scary because it was so real....they even had all kinds of gimmicks to suggest it was real...he chatted on line with them and they said he needed to write a check for $600 and they could scan it (or more like digitalize it and they received it....(how they did that I have no clue or my husband either) he could not touch the computer (they told him not to) and they even got on the printer.....the good news is.....we stopped the check....went to our bank and our computer was safe again....(we thought).....I called a company here in town that works on computers but all their technicians are not available today....matter of fact he told me had another customer come in to tell them he gave them his credit card number ....we were lucky....so the problem here is....he was on the computer this morning and wanting to print some information from an email....and couldn't....this was the first evidence that something was wrong with the printer.....as I tried to fix it....paper jam....removed the back....there was no paper jam...then it was aligned...that went well....again...thinking it was okay to go...no printing....as I looked carefully at the printer I noticed on the little screen....the fax was highlighted....we have no fax....we did at one time but disconnected the fax....so need to get that printer back to where it needs to be....can you help me? Blanche

Technician's Assistant: Is there an error code on your printer when you try to scan?

No

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Long time ago

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/24/2018
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

It is not an error....have you read what I said was wrong.....someone invaded our computer and scanned a check that my husband made out to this company (it was a scam as was proven to us by our bank and we stopped payment on the check...they had control of our computer and did this with the printer......it is in a fax mode.....do you understand this?

Yes, I understand that you scammed.

Please follow my steps -- thank you

no thanks....you are not any better than the people that scanned us in the first place.....I am totally disappointed .....is there anyone that is really trying to help.....I will go to the local computer store....I am out money now and don't want to be out more....so no thanks.....Blanche

OK -- best of luck!