Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I press the 'on' button on my Canon Pixma MX885, a B200…

Hi, When I press...

Hi, When I press the 'on' button on my Canon Pixma MX885, a B200 printer error comes on in the display panel. The printer is correctly connected but my printer cannot be found.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your Pixma: wirelessly or by USB?

USB - mind you I would like to go wireless as I have wifi but I haven't the faintest clue how to do this.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I have no idea. I thought Windows automatically updated software.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that is about it. The problem has only occurred today.

3/24/2018
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please be informed that, B200 error means "Printhead temperature exceeded". It means that the printhead ink wells ran out of ink and the printing continued. Printing without ink in the wells OVERHEATED THE PRINTHEAD NOZZLES and potentially burned them out.

This can happen when the ink has run out and printing is continued, causing permanent damage to the nozzles.

Or the printhead voltage is abnormal because there is something wrong with the logic board, either way the printhead and logic board may need to be replaced to make the error go away.

However. I would suggest you try the following before doing any repair. If the issue persists, or you cannot move the printhead, please take it for repair.

1. Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine. And remove the printhead too.

2. Turn off the printer and unplug all its cables.

3. Clean the printhead thoroughly with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab. No problem to wash the electronic board. Also shake it a little bit because there might be some ink inside the printhead. Dry it with a clean and soft paper.

4. Clean the printhead-to-printer connectors (anything metal-looking) with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

5. Do let the printhead air-dry for about an hour.

6. Turn on the printer, put the printhead back in the printer and insert the cartridges.

Check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you cannot do any more troubleshooting yourself. The issue is either with the printhead, or the logic board, or both.

It is better to get a new printer instead of repairing it. Since these are major parts, unfortunately the cost of repairs may be more than a new printer itself, (if the printer is out of warranty).

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

I apologize for the bad news. However, this is the honest answer I can give.

Thank you.