Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Replaced all ink cartridges; still no printing from laptop.

Customer Question
Replaced all ink cartridges...

Replaced all ink cartridges; still no printing from laptop

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? If so, what do they say?

There is a problem with the printer or ink system turn printer off, then on-if problem persists, contact HP

Technician's Assistant: The last time you changed your cartridges, did you replace them with new ones or refill the old ones?

New cartridges from Staples, replaced 3/23/28...Printer purchased in August, 2013

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
3/24/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.