Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Service mode is idle, what to do next. Canon MX860. 2 days.

Customer Question
Service mode is idle...

Service mode is idle, what to do next.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Canon MX860

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MX860?

2 days

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I have a new Mac Book pro, about 2 months old.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I do.
No I don't, what happened to $5.00 refundable fee?
I haven't been able to access your answer to my problem.

Our services are not $5.

Call customer service at 1-***-***-****

I want the chat option, not securely connect.

OK -- our services are not refundable.

Please call customer service

I haven't gotten any service, just a run around. Can you help me with my problem?

Correct -- You have stated our services are $5 and they are refundable which is not true.

Call customer service

I've already paid $ 23.00 and I have nothing to show for it. It's a waist of time to call "customer service" as they are of no help at all. Again, can you fix my problem?

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

I powered down for over two minutes and when I power up I get a 5B00 error message. I have used the process of starting the printer holding down the stop button and power button, releasing the stop, pressing it two times That is when the service mode idle comes up.
What now?

How old is the printer?

8 years

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one. You can purchase a new one for around $50-$60 at a local electronics store such as Best Buy.