Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am unable to clean the magenta printhead (other printheads…

I am unable to clean...
I am unable to clean the magenta printhead (other printheads are clean) on my Epson ET-4550 printer using the printhead cleaning utility.
3/22/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you get an error message? Or you do the cleaning but it prints blank or poor quality on the magenta test prints?

Poor quality magenta print (bro***** *****nes in printout).
HELLO, Nathan! Are you still there?
HELLO, Nathan. I have run the printhead cleaning utility MANY times to no avail. The magenta printhead appears to still be partially clogged. Evidence: bro***** *****nes on the printout. Black, Cyan, and Yellow lines are solid.
This results in terrible color prints!

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

You'll need to manually clean at this point,

though it isn't easy to reach, the next step is to clean the underside of the printhead (nozzles) with qtips or a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol,

keep swabbing until it comes away clean (it will take awhile since you really will be doing all the colors and can't isolate just magenta only),

if you can try lightly saturating a cloth or papertowel with the alcohol and stuff it up under the head so it will sit against it and leave it there to soak for about 1/2 hour, swab again to dry, then run another auto cleaning cycle and let me know how it works at that point.

How do I access the underside of the printhead (nozzles) on the ET-4550?

You can lift the lid over the inner compartment (below the scanner),

or try to access it from the front where the paper comes out.

Here is a video that shows some of the typical access and cleaning process steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDQAHqA-ssE

Note though that I absolutely would not recommend trying to use ammonia, it can damage the printhead beyond repair by corroding the nozzles. There is a lot of bad info online suggesting this. Alcohol is the safest solvent for this purpose.

Hour and a half soaking with rubbing alcohol, followed by nozzle check, head cleaning, and, finally, power ink flushing failed to correct the fact that the magenta ink is still not flowing properly (gaps in the lines on the nozzle check pattern). I will soak the printheads overnight and try again. Can parts (such as ink tubes) be obtained if this cleaning fails?

Parts are not available to the end user, but epson will generally cover warranty work for 2 years, so you are likely covered and can take it in to factory service at their expense.

Nathan, Engineer
You stated that "epson will generally cover warranty work for 2 years." Epson has told me that, even though this problem occurred before the end of the 1 year warranty period, because that 1 year warranty period has expired, I am not eligible for any covered warranty work. Quite a sad situation considering I paid $470 for the printer and it does not work properly.Thanks for your help. Too bad nothing worked.

The warranty is a year, but typically if you register the warranty when purchased, they'll extend it to 2 for you.

I would still try calling back again, even a few times if needed, or ask to talk to a supervisor. Eventually you'll probably get someone to agree to cover it.

I can understand being a stickler about the warranty on one of the basic $50 printers, but not on these.