Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Have installed a genuine HP toner cartridge (42X) in my

Have installed a genuine...

Have installed a genuine HP toner cartridge (42X) in my Laserjet 4240n and get a message "Incorrect supply installed". Never had this problem before. I've also tried 42A cartridge with same result. Is there a solution?

Technician's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had to change the ink for your LaserJet?

No ... this printer is at least 10 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No coded error messages, just "incorrect supply installed". I can easily get to the cartridge.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything ... this just came out of the blue. We always use HP cartridges, no compatibles.

3/22/2018
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Still need help. Old used 42A toner is recognized by printer but new one is not accepted. New one works in a different printer but not this one.
42X toner is not acceptable on the 4240n printer so I've removed that from the equation. It still comes down to the 42A toner that won't work on this particular printer.

Have you tried another 42X toner on the printer?

No, I discovered that 42X doesn't work on the 4240 (per HP) .. I've tried before and the printer won't accept it.

The 42X is a compatible toner for your printer

That's what I thought but it never has worked. I have found mention on HP's web-site that the 42X doesn't work on the 4240n. In any case, the 42A is the toner that should definitely work and this one doesn't. But the 42A does work on a 4250 printer that we have. And the old 42A cartridge works on the computer that I'm having trouble with. So basically, my printer works with older cartridge and the toner that doesn't work on this printer works on other printers. I really need to find a way around the error condition.

It sounds like the printer has internal issues which is causing it to not work with the proper toner.

How old is the printer?

The printer is at least 10 years old. Could be an issue.

Yes, that is more than likely the issue. The average life of a printer is around 3-5 years

you're not aware of any way to get around the error message? No way to internally reset the error codes?

No, there isn't a way around that error code.

OK, I'll conclude that my problem is unsolvable at this point. I've ordered a new cartridge from HP ... we'll see if it has the same problem and if so, kick it back to HP. Thanks for your attempts to help.
Any idea how much this discussion has cost me?

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, Engineer