Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon pixma mg 5520, Had paper jam yesterday, removed paper,

Customer Question
Canon pixma mg 5520...

Canon pixma mg 5520, Had paper jam yesterday, removed paper, now have error report. How do I reset, have already cancelled and turned off restarted, same error message. Is there possibly still some paper jammed?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Pixma displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Cannot print, only error message no matter what I do.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Never the printer is about 6 mos. old

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

How do I take the printer apart to see if there is more paper jammed?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Printers
3/21/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me the exact error code/message?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
6000

Thank you,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault (line feed fault). That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty feed drive motor/gear/belt, etc).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll do your procedure tomorrow when I am at work. Thanks for the info.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was able to remove some more paper from inside. There still remains a small bit in the wheels, but it works now. Thanks

Great, glad it is back on track for you!

Those others will probably work their way loose over time with a few more print jobs.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer