Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My pixma mg2520 will not print, if i print a test page it…

Customer Question
My pixma mg2520 will...

My pixma mg2520 will not print, if i print a test page it will print windows test page but no text.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Dell optiplex 780

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

Just started

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on your model

It has window 10 i guess about a year

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I have done a ton of printing the last two months and was bragging ont the printer on how great we were doing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/20/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

So you see the windows logo on the test page but the text portion is blank/missing?

that is correct

Thanks for confirming,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the utility and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. These basic model printers are essentially designed to be disposable and only last a year or so.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $50-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?