Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HP Envy 7640 printer, fax, etc. It keeps coming up…

Customer Question
I have a HP...

I have a HP Envy 7640 printer, fax, etc. It keeps coming up with an error message of "Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed, and then touch OK." I have reinstalled the ink cartridges with new ones several times and it still comes up with this message. I will never use your monthly program again. This problem began when I cancelled the program.

Technician's Assistant: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes. I have tried to print and copy and it will not do either one due to above message. I have turned it off and back on to see if that would reset anything. It still does not work.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Probably whatever it came with, is it. I do not use the printer much, so have not thought about any updates.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
3/19/2018
Technician: Sheri, Expert replied 3 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. First. remove all cartridges and turn the printer off. Then turn it back on and install the cartridges and test. If that doesn't solve it, try the following to update the printer driver (software):

Is it running Windows 10? If so, try the following:

In the search on the bottom, type device manager and select device manager from the list that opens. Click the arrow next to Printers.

Right click on your printer and choose update driver. Then choose search automatically for updated driver software. Then, if presented, allow to search Windows Update. If a new driver is found in this process, allow it to update. Then test.

Please reply and let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions. Then we can go to the next step if needed.
Regards,
Sheri-Expert

The printer still does not work and I have Windows 7 not 10.
Is this $39 in addition to the $31 I stupidly just spent?

The remote service offer is automatically generated by the system, not by me. You can just ignore it.

Since it is Windows 7, did you locate device manager yet and update the driver? Let me know so we can go to the next step.

If you did already try to update it automatically, please click on the link below and download the full feature software and drivers. Make sure your correct version of Windows is selected on the page. Once downloaded, power off the printer and run the downloaded software and follow the prompts. Then test and let me know if that fixed the issue.

Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/model/6617268

Regards,

Sheri-Expert