Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Magenta is not printing after multiple deep cleanings, Canon…

Customer Question
Magenta is not printing...

Magenta is not printing after multiple deep cleanings

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Canon iP2700

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your IP2700?

1-2 months

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Unknown, how do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Printers
3/19/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

A few cleans are not enough. You can try again going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 10 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do you do manual cleaning?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thank you for secure remote assistance, I am at work and the company will not allow this

I am not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response here.

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing. This is the printhead.

You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well.

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the alcohol to flush through the head)

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will I be charged anything else. can I discontinue the service?

No you shouldn't be charged anything else, just the initial fees you paid for this one time help.

You didn't get charged for the remote.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to garentee my credit card will not contiuely be billed.

From what I can see you are not set up for any ongoing membership or subscription.

Once we're closed out here (via the stars at the top of the page) I'll send a note to customer service for you to verify that as well.

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 27 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Engineer