Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I try to send a fax every one has a comm. failure on…

When I try to...

When I try to send a fax every one has a comm. failure on first attempt and the usually redials after a wait and the resend goes through OK The message that prints out on first failed attampt is "Poor Line Condition/Out of Memory"

Technician's Assistant: Are your device's other functions (printing, copying, scanning, etc.) working fine?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When did this fax issue begin?

Some time ago...months. I have been living with the auto retry but as it is tax season it is a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now the machine is not attempting to redial the fax after the first attempt fails. It scans the doc after it fails to connect to remote machine, but it no longer stores the tempy file and does not recognize that the original was not sent. It has no jobs pending resend??
3/19/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

4) Are you able to RECEIVE faxes?

5) What is the brand and model number of the printer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a dedicated fax line using COMCAST VOIP. The dial tone and line noise seem fine when I manually listen to it and there is no issue with the voice quality. No DSDL service here have not tried to receive fax as I only use outgoing. Printer is Brother MFC 8480DN.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Fax line number is(###) ###-####(not same as # sent on original request as that was my cell)
Please go into the fax settings and set the overseas mode (compatibility mode) option to ON then try to send a fax and let me know how that works
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rest to Overseas mode on but same fax failure. When the machine connects to distant end machine and tone are sent back it does not respond to tones and then transmission times out and I get "Comm. Error/ Out"
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Comm. Error/Out of memory"
Okay please unplug power to your comcastmodem for 5 minutes than replug and try again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cant kill modem right now as it is in use for rest of office working but when I dial any voice number on the fax line it goes right thru with good sound quality. When i send a fax the fax machine dials out OK and I get connected to remote fax and it send tone to my fax but my machine is not recognizing/responding to remote fax tone and the times out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not gotten any response? Are you there??
The reboot is a necessary next step. We cannot proceed further until you are able to do so. Just reply back when you can
Nathan, Engineer
Robert M., Consultant

this is Rob. I have your premium request

call me at the number in the secure section or put your number in here and i will call you

this is actually quite common when using voip lines. they are not as clear as land lines and the fax speed has to be slowed down to allow them to operate.

call me and i can tell you how to do that and we can test it with my fax machine

Nathan, Engineer