Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am trying to connect to my epson printer and it says it…

I am trying to...

I am trying to connect to my epson printer and it says it cannot do it. I can print wirelessly from my computer but it will not scan. That is my problem it will not scan, Thanks, Rita

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your Epson printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I am not sure what you mean. I have the system set so it will update automatically.

3/18/2018
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily. Before we proceed with any troubleshooting, please once unplug your printer from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in. Let me know when this is done.

It has been done and is back in the wall.

Kindly mention the model number of your printer.

C462T

Is that XP-434

I am waiting for a response.

Is that XP-434?

Am afraid the C462T isn't the model number.

I am sorry . My printer is XP446 and the Model # is C462T

Thank you let me check.

I clicked on the Drivers, etc. but I don't know if it connected. How can I tell if it worked?

After the drivers got downloaded you have to run them.

Press Ctrl+J your downloads will open , double click on the epson downloads and the software will start running.

I ran the items listed. what do I do now?

Now try to scan.

OK.

Thank you.

The computer said it cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on and connected with
no errors indicated. Check Solving Problems in the User Guide.

I could check this remotely but am unable to do that right now.

So let me open this question for other experts.

OK

Thank you.

OK - I will check my email.
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. My name is Joel. I am sorry that you have been having difficulties. I can help you solve your problem. It looks like you still need assistance.

Is your computer a pc or a mac? What is your computer operating system?

My computer is a pc and it is Windows 8

Loss of the scanner connection, while the printer remains connected, is a common problem with home computer networks, especially with wireless networks. The remedy is to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers. I have a procedure which is guaranteed to work. I recommend that we do this together interactively.

There is no need for a secure remote connection. However, the procedure that I will provide must be followed carefully Unless the software is removed from the operating system completely before downloading and installing the latest drivers from the official manufacturer's support website, the computer will find the flawed drivers on the hard drive and reinstall them instead.

OK What do I have to do.

Peease go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > View Devices & Printers and Remove the print server icons for your printer.

I went to the control panel but there is no Hardware & Sound. There is on Sound alone.
There is only Sound alone.
I do have Devices & printers, but I do not have print server icon. Did you want me to click off the Sound
only.

Do you have an Epson XP446 and/or an Epson C462T icon shown in your Printers & Scanners pane?

I do have a 446 and the Model # is C462T. I will see if the icon appears.
I have printers & devices which I checked. I have 2 printers listed. 1) XP420 series network and
2) XP 440 series network copy 2.

Please remove both of them.

OK - they are gone.

Great work! Now please go to Control Panel > Programs & Features and wait for it to populate. The carefully select each Epson program item and select Uninstall. Then check the program name and confirm that it is an Epson program and that you do want to uninstall it.

Just to let you know---under my epson software updated it says the it is a XP 440 series (network) (copy 2)

I know, but it isn't working, so remove it. No worries. We will get back a working icon that isn't a copy.

It seems to take a long time to uninstall a program. It's been almost 15 min. It is still working on
getting one done.

Thanks for letting me know. There may be a problem with it. Which item is taking so long? Can you cancel it?

I just cancelled the 440 , Now what

Place your cursor in the top-right corner of the screen and type Uninstall in the Search field. We are looking for an Uninstall Epson desktop app.

I typed in uninstall and the two programs popped up. I clicked enter but nothing has happened.

Type Epson and look for a Desktop Uninstall app.

I typed in epson but there is no desktop any where that shows up. Should I go to another area?

Go back to Control Panel > Programs & Features and try to uninstall the program that you have not tried yet first.

I have clicked on XP 420 at 8:41 so I will see how long this takes.

Okay.

It has been about 5" - how much longer does this take?

If it takes longer than 10 minutes, you should cancel it and restart your computer by placing the cursor in the lower-right corner of your screen and selecting the Power menu. You can return to this chat conversation by selecting the response link in your Just Answer notification email.

I powered off and then powered back on - so where do I go from here

Was that a full shutdown and startup?

Good job. Now let's see if it made any difference in being able to delete the Epson programs. Please try again. I know this is tedious, but it is important. This is what is preventing you from being able to scan. Please let me know if you can delete both Epson programs in under 10 minutes each.

I resstarted the uninstall process again XP 420 and currently it has been over 5"
What do I do now?
Joel, we started at about 9pm - do you think it will be much longer.
Joel, It has been over 10" trying to uninstall the program. What else can I do?
Joel, It has been about 25" since I last responded to you. Are you off work? Should I check with someone else?

Sorry for the delay. I did not hear the notification of your reply. I amm here. So, the XP420 would not delete. You could have canceled it and tried the XP440.

Sorry for the delay. I did not hear the notification of your reply. I am here.

Please try deleting the XP440.

I just deleted 420 and now clicked on 440 to uninstall it. I will wait 5" and if it also does not work I will let you know

I meant to say uninstall. What worked with the 420 that did not work before??

I have clicked on the uninstalled area for both programs - 420 and 440. Sorry I did not mean to say delete. So far, nothing has worked

We can try searching for them in Windows Explorer and delete all the files that have their name in the filenames. But you must spell the names exactly the same as they appear in the Programs area, i.e., XP-440 with the hyphen if that is the way it appears (or XP-446).

I have google can I still go into windows exp. ? and where do I find the filenames?

Google is an internet search engine which uses Internet Explorer. We are going to use Windows Explorer and search your hard drive. You can type Windows Explorer into your Search box to open the desktop app. Then, when it opens, it will show all your file folders, and it will have its own search box.

If it doesn't work, we can skip it.

Joel, this did not work. Do you have any other ideas.?
Can I not install XP-446 ?

Yes. We will download and install it now. Here is the link to the official Epson support website:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-446/s/SPT_C11CF27202

Select the first item, which is the Drivers and Utilities Combo Package.

Are you using the Internet Explorer browser?

OK

Does the lin I just sent you appear as an active link (light blue and underlined)?

Does the link I just sent you appear as an active link (light blue and underlined)?

I went ahead and downloaded the XP-440 --XP-446 which is how it showed up on the screen. They were both together.
I went ahead and installed it. The guide went from download to install. How can I check to see if this worked and can
I now connect it to scan?

Very good. Please go to Control Panel > Printers & Scanners and highlight the print server icon for your printer. Then right-click on it and select Printer Properties. You will see a button labeled Print Test Page. Check to see that there is paper loaded into your printer and select Print Test Page. Please let me know if it prints. Then try to scan the way you normally do it.

there is no Print & Scanner - what do I do?

What do you mean? Do you mean that your printer does not show up when you open the Printers & Scanners window in Control Panel?

On the control panel page there is no "printer and scanner" listed.

Sorry, it is called Devices & Printers.

OK i will try that

How is it going?

When I go into Devices & Scanners and Rt. click on it no printer properties appears.

Did you open Devices & Printers and find your printer icon there?

What shows up is a printer named XP-440 series (network).
It does not say wireless.
When I clicked on the icon it said it went to the default setting.

That's good. Now right-click on it again and select Printer Properties. When you open that dialog box, you will see the Print Test Page button.

I printed the test paper and it did work but when I click on the scan icon it does not connect.
w

Is there a separate Scanner icon in the Devices & Printers window?

There is no Scanner.

Rigth. There shouldn't be. What icon did you click on?

What icon did you click on to scan?

I went to the Devices & Printers and clicked on it. No scanner showed up.
If there was not supposed to be a scanner under devices and printers why did I click on it.

There is no separate Scanner icon. When you double-click on the printer icon, it should open the Epson software which has many functions, including several scanning functions. Try it.

When I double click on the Device and Printer a screen comes up the shows the XP-440 icon - there is nothing that
has a series of Epson items. What else
Is there anything I can do to make this connect to the scanner? Any ideas or can you check elsewhere?

You are making this a lot more difficult than it has to be because you keep misunderstanding the instructions. You are supposed to keep the Devices & Printers window open for all of this discussion. When I say to right-click or double-click on the printer icon I am talking about the XP-440 or XP-446 icon, whatever it is called, in the Devices & Printers window, and you keep right-clicking or double-clicking on the Devices & Printers icon in the Control Panel window.

There is no need to check elsewhere. The answer is right in front of you

What is the printer icon called, XP-440 or XP-446?

It shows up as XP-440 - I rt. clicked on the icon XP-440 and what came up were items such as set as default- printing preferences - printer properties - remove device trouble shoot - properties.

Yes, but now we are not doing that. Now you need to double-click on it.

When I doubled clicked on Devices & Printers the same screen appears which shows the icon XP-440
I also doubled clicked on the icon XP-440 and the same screen as noted above showed up.

Why can't you understand? DO NOT DOUBLE-CLICK ON DEVICES & PRINTERS~ Double click on the XP-440icon. That is all yo have to do.

Thanks, ***** ***** it what I did.

Well, that is not what you said that you did. What happens when you double-click on the XP-440 icon?

Actually, you can right-click on it and then left-click on Open. It is the same as double-clicking.

When I double clicked on the XP-440 this shows up: a box that has on the top Printer Document View
Joel, I think I am missing something. I double click on the icon XP-440 and what came up is a box that states
on the top Printer Document ViewOn the icon after clicking there is nothing that says OPEN
How do I find that?

That means that you don't have the scanner software. I'll give you a link to download another driver.

Please go back to the Epson website and open the Utilities section. Then download and install the Easy Photo Scan v1.00.10. I"ll give you the link again: https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-446/s/SPT_C11CF27202.

WAIT! THIS MAY NOT BE NECESSARY. STOP AND ALLOW ME TO GIVE YOU A DIFFERENT INSTRUCTION.

I already have the Easy Photo Scan on my computer

Where is it? Is it in the Devices & Scanners window?

It is an icon on my windows screen which is in the lower left hand corner of my computer & when I scroll over to the different icons it shows up.

I think that is a specialized scan package for photos. But there is a desktop app that you can search for called Scan 2 that is part of the Drivers & Utilities Combo Package.that we downloaded first.

I will show you how to get the general scan program. Please place your cursor in the top-right corner of your screen, select the search mode for desktop apps, and search for Scan 2. You can right-click on it and create a desktop icon for it. Then open it (right-click and select Open or double-click) to shoe the desktop scanning functions.

The way to create a desktop icon is to right-click on Scan 2 and select Create Shortcut or Send To -> Desktop.

The app for Scan 2 is on my desktop. What do I do now?

You can either double-click it or right-click it to open the menu and select Open from the menu.

I did that and it opened with the scanner and showed XP-440 (network 04)
I am not sure that my scanner is set for XP440 (network 04)
Actually when I clicked on both those numbers that you pulled up the scanner page showed up with the different boxes to click to scan something

The first one was a mistake. The second one applies to your multifunction printer.

What I sent you was a picture of the real page. You can place a document on the glass on your printer and select the Scan button on the real page that you opened with your Scan 2 desktop app and it will scan the document into your Documents folder. Try It!

it does work so that should allow me to scan from the computer. Thanks.

You can also scan from the printer by using the control panel on the printer. That is what I always do. Since I am already at the printer to place a document on the glass, why do I need to walk back to the computer?

Anyway, we finally got it all done. Sorry that it took so long.

If you have any additional questions or problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. My goal is to provide you with the best possible customer service. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to rate my services.

Hello again. I just wanted to check on how you are doing with your scanner and printer. I really enjoyed working with you on Sunday. There was one point where I got impatient with you for not following my instructions, and I apologize for that. I did not realize that my directions were not leading directly to the solution. I think you knew that, and that is the reason that you did not want to follow. I reacted, and I was rude to you. I apologie for my actions and my behavior. Please accept my sincere apology.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICES BY USING THE 5-STAR RATING SYSTEM. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to provide a service rating. I strive to provide Excellent service. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service.

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING. I WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH TECHNICAL SUPPORT.

Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer