Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

After changing the black and blue cartridges I cannot get…

After changing the black...

After changing the black and blue cartridges I cannot get the printer to print properly. It is coming out too light.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

MFJ485DW

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No error messages and I can open the lid.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

The model no started with MFC

3/18/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2015 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I will try the automatic cleaning process first. I have only had the printer for about a year so I hope it is not the print head.

Are you using generic/refilled "compatible" inks, or oem brother inks?

You don't need to try. Thank you for your assistance.

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, cleaning the printer heads was the answer. Thank you for your assistance.

Great! Glad that did the trick for you!