Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

WASN'T PRINTING BLACK. PUT IN NEW CARTRIDGE AND NP HELP.

WASN'T PRINTING BLACK....

WASN'T PRINTING BLACK. PUT IN NEW CARTRIDGE AND NP HELP. WHEN ASK TO PRINT COLOR, GET FAINT BLACK BUT WHEN ASK TO PRINT BLACK , NO PRINT.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

BROTHER MFC J5520

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

NO MESSAGES AND CAN OPEN LID AND REMOVED AND REINSERTED CARTRIDGES

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

NO-WHAT IS COST AND PAY ONLY AFTER HELP?

3/18/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

You have paid the full fee at this point, which was shown on the payment page. That was 5 to post your question, and the balance/total upon corresponding with me here.

Are you using new/genuine oem brother cartridges, or are they generic/refilled "compatible" inks?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New: genuine

Thanks for confirming,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 (letter size, about 150 for tabloid) you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried clean print head 3 times. If i try to pro=int color, black works but faint. if i try to print black only, no print

That is because in color mode, it is printing all the colors together overlaid with the black to reinforce it.

Your black nozzles are not really firing at all here, which is typical of a printer this age, black fails first as it gets the most use.

Please run the cleaning at least a few more times.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok-trying

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it worked on 5th try
thanks

Great! Glad to hear that did the trick for you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer