Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer has quit printing. When I try to print, I get the…

Hello, my printer has...

Hello, my printer has quit printing. When I try to print, I get the message: Support code 5B))

Technician's Assistant: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

The message is Support code 5B00 A printer error has occurred. See the manual and contact the service center. Yes, no matter what I try to print. The cartridges do not even roll back and forth when I turn the machine on or attempt to print.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I honestly do not know or remember.

3/18/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model number of the printer?

MG2920

Thank you for the info,

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 6+ year old model, that was built for a service life of no more than 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer