Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer is not printing at all. Took printer to Staples,

My printer is not...

My printer is not printing at all. Took printer to Staples, where I bought it and they were unable to fix it. The Staples tech thought the problem was with the printer head. Printer is still under warranty.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I can't rember

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

None that I can think of.

3/18/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the brand and model of the printer?
What error code/number?
When was it purchased?

HP Envy 4520
No Error code
7/29/17

Can you describe the problem with it?

I've tried copying documents, scanning documents and printing documents. Blank sheets appear. A diagnostic page will print with only blue marks with a little note that has a triangle that says important.
Are you there?
I'm going to log off and return the printer to HP. I'm not satisfied with this experience.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed. I was in the process of trying to respond to you, and you then "opted out", blocking anyone from being able to respond back to you.

HP will not take your printer back, and you'll find they offer essentially no support, they cover the printer for the first 90 days, after that they'd charge you $50 just for a phone call even under warranty.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, if needed

Best regards,

I can't find the clean print head function. Where do I find it? I found clean cartridges, align printer, clean page smears.

It is the clean cartridge option, that is the same thing just labeled slightly differently, depending on the software version your printer has installed currently.

It still isn't working.

Have you done the cleaning a minimum of 5 times?

I'm on the 5th time

Thank you

Nothing has changed.

Okay you likely have a bad printhead then. This is a very common failure in HP printers, even after just a few months we often see this. It also is something HP will virtually never cover, they consider it part of normal wear and tear and will generally blame the user for not using the printer properly (printing too much or not enough, using refilled inks, etc).

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing. This is the printhead.

You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the alcohol to flush through the head)

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced. At that point, you're better off buying a new printer. To even call HP to file a warranty claim they'll charge you $50+ for their support phone call, then they'll charge you to ship the printer in to them, and shipping back. By the time you've paid all that, you could have bought a brand new printer with a fresh warranty from a better quality brand and be better off in the long run. I can recommend replacement options if it comes to that.

I'd appreciate your input on replacement options.

Sure thing, and my apologies for the news.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer