Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I need to put my personal Canon Pixma MG7120 into storage…

Customer Question
I need to put...

I need to put my personal Canon Pixma MG7120 into storage while I am working on a contract where my employer provides all my computer/printer support. I removed the ink cartridges, cleaned the outsides and taped them shut over the ink port and stored them upside down with ink port up. Then I cleaned what little ink I could see where the cartridges used to be with Q-Tips and soaked up what little ink would come out if the grey port where the ink used to go in. I am concerned, though that the unit perhaps needs a deeper cleaning than that, I do not want to find a couple of years from now that ink dried inside and ink will no longer go through the unit. What do you recommend? Are there cleaning solvent cartridges to use in such a case? Should I take it to a professional Canon service center? The latter is what I anticipate. Thank you- Edward Kiker,***@******.***, cell(###) ###-#### 7357 Wall Triana Hwy, Madison, Alabama 35757.

Technician's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had to change the ink for your Pixma?

No, I have changed to new cartridges many times as they ran out and had them refilled. Never a problem. But I have never put the unit into long-storage before. I have put it into original box with original plastic wrapping- I always keep those.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No- there is no problem with it. I just want to make sure I am storing it properly so that when I need it again at the end of my work contract it will be clean and will work.

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Printer Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

No other issues. Do please have a Canon expert contact me at(###) ###-####or***@******.***. Thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Printers
3/17/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

I would recommend additionally using qtips to saturate the ink ports inside the printer with some rubbing alcohol to clean away any remaining ink there, keep swabbing until they come away clean.

Even then however, I would not expect the printer to work still after long term storage, they simply aren't designed for that. Inkjet printers have components which ware simply with age, and for a 2012 model this printer is already well over double its service life. Chances are it will never print again if it sits more than about a month without use. It would absolutely not be worth servicing either, it would cost you a minimum of $100 just to take it in, and you could buy a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for less. So it wouldn't hurt to try cleaning it, but I would probably plan on needing to buy a new printer when you return back home.

Best regards,

It is a MG7120, not a 2012

Yes I'm familiar with the model number,

what I'm saying is that the printer was built in 2012 (and some into 2013).

These printers are designed by canon for a maximum service life of 3 years, so it is likely well past that already,

and there are wear components that will continue to fail even just sitting in storage,

so for that reason, I'd have little expectation of it working if you come back to it several months or longer from now.