Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Black ink will not feed - replaced the cartridge twice

Customer Question
Black ink will not...

Black ink will not feed - replaced the cartridge twice (thought the first may be a dud) still not printing in blck - also will not photocopy

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

Sorry - MFC 290c

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No error message - since the low ink one - it proceeds as if it will pring - then nothing prints - lots of blank paper - except for the G Mail Logo in color (it is now fading - after several attempts)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
3/17/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 5 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:
1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Using the Maintenance function in the printer's own Menu, under Setup / Settings. Doing this cleaning by hand could damage it permanently.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply To Expert " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.