Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I'm trying to get my HP Photosmart 7520 printer to print…

Customer Question
Hello. I'm trying...

Hello. I'm trying to get my HP Photosmart 7520 printer to print normal pages. I've been to Sam's Club twice today, and have purchased the 564XL black ink cartridge. I've replaced all of the color and photo print cartridges. They are all working fine except the black. I printed a Print Quality Diagnostic page and Black doesn't show the new cartridge that I've just loaded.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your HP printer: wirelessly or by USB?

I have already tried aligning the printer, and cleaning the print head. HP wireless printer.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

It's been a long time. I don't remember the last time, I've updated the printer driver software.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/17/2018
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:
1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Use the Maintenance function in the printer's Setup/Settings menu - doing the cleaning by hand could damage the printhead permanently.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply To Expert " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.

Hello Russell. I’be actually cleaned the printer using the settings 3-4 times already. The black ink cartridge shows on the desktop settings. It doesn’t show up on the printer settings however.

Have you tried a test photocopy run on the printer itself, of a black-and-white or text original document? if so, with what result?

I did do the photo test copy. All colors show up except the black, even though I replaced them all today.
Will you be able to remote in tonight for the extra fee?
All pages print in color. The black ink doesn’t print at all. It just prints blank when black ink should be used.

The black ink system has some sort of problem, then.

Try the triple-cleaning with wait times in between, as I specified. It's the one hope of not having to replace the printhead or the whole printer. It often has helped customers with this problem in the past.