Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Im getting the notification that the printer cartridge

Customer Question
Im getting the notification...

Im getting the notification that the printer cartridge problems

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

C4780

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Printer csrtridge problem is the message i get snd yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No oh well i just refilled the ink crtridges and there wasnt a problem with the printer before it just stopped working

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/16/2018
Technician: Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer replied 4 months ago
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer

Thank you for your question today. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.

These errors, can occur with genuine HP cartridges under certain circumstances. The cartridge might need to be reinstalled, the electrical contacts could be dirty, the cartridges might need to be aligned, or there could be a cartridge or printer failure.

Solution one: Use genuine HP cartridges

Make sure that the installed cartridges are compatible with your printer and that they are unmodified, genuine HP cartridges.

Solution two: Remove, inspect, and then reinstall the cartridges:

A cartridge error message might display if a cartridge does not have full electrical contact with the printer. Follow these steps to remove and then reinstall the cartridge.

1. Make sure that the printer is on. If necessary, press the Power button to turn on the printer.

2. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a cartridge to release it.

1. The tri-color cartridge is on the left side of the carriage

2. The black cartridge is on the right side of the carriage

4. Slide the cartridge out.

caution:

Do not touch the copper-colored electrical contacts or the ink nozzles.

1. Copper-colored electrical contacts

2. Nozzles

5. Remove any clear protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

caution:

Do not attempt to remove the copper electrical strip.

6. Reinstall the cartridge in the printer.

Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top, and then insert the cartridge back into the carriage slot. Push the cartridge firmly into the slot until it snaps into place.

• The tricolor cartridge goes into the left carriage slot.

• The black cartridge goes into the right carriage slot.

7. Close the cartridge access door.

8. Try to print again.

Solution three: Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts:

1. Gather the following materials:

• Distilled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the cartridge)

• Cotton swabs, coffee filters, or other soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the electrical contacts

• A clean sheet of paper

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.

4. Press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out of the slot.

caution:

Do not leave the cartridges outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes. If the cartridge is outside of the printer for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.

5. Inspect the cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.

6. Dip a clean swab or lint-free material into distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

7. Hold the cartridge by its sides, and then clean only the copper-colored contacts.

caution:

Do not touch or clean the ink nozzles. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

1. Copper-colored contacts

2. Ink nozzles (do not touch or clean)

8. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge.

9. Clean the contacts in the print carriage, located inside the printer.

10. Wait 10 minutes to allow the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts to dry.

11. Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top, and then insert the cartridge back into the carriage slot. Push the cartridge firmly into the slot until it snaps into place.

12. Close the cartridge access door.

13. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer.

14. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

15. Try to print a page.

16. If you are still unable to print, repeat these steps to clean and reseat the cartridges. Multiple cleanings might be necessary to restore printing.

Solution four: Reset the printer:

Follow these steps to reset the printer.

1. Press the Power button () to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button () to turn it on.

Solution five: Replace the problem cartridge:

If cleaning and re-seating the cartridge does not fix the problem, replace the cartridge with a new, compatible HP cartridge. If you need to print immediately and the quality of the printouts is not a concern, you can print in backup mode.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,or need clarity.

If this helps please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
Jamie