Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP photosmart 2410. After a few power outages

I have an HP...

I have an HP photosmart 2410 . After a few power outages here, it can no longer detect my wireless network. I live in an apartment and it doesn't detect ANY local networks. My phone and laptop have no problem. I have unplugged for 5 minutes, restored factory setting. Nothing

Technician's Assistant: What HP model do you have?

Photosmart 2710

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your HP printer?

I just noticed it this week but I haven't been printing much

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Don't know. Not for a long time. How would I do it if it won't connect to the internet

3/16/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

thanks. I'll wait
I don't know how they ask me to pay more for you to remotely connect to my device to fix it when its not connected to the internet. That's the problem!

I'm not asking for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.
You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response here.

Can you please confirm what model printer you have though, you've indicated 2 very different models here.

photosmart 2710

Thank you

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty wlan adapter or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2006 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life. At this point the printer is more than 4 times the life it was designed for and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $250 range to have it repaired. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Of course you could use it with a wired/usb connection as well, but realistically the printers other functions would be expected to fail at any time now as well.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

thanks for your help

You're very welcome!

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer