Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My husband printer is making a horrible noise. Cannon prima…

Customer Question
My husband printer is...

My husband printer is making a horrible noise

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Cannon prima 90000

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Canon printer?

We just bought off ebay so today I guess

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Running Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Makes loud slacking noise for about 30 seconds then stops making noise. Green and yellow lights flash.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
3/15/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

Given the advanced age this is most likely a hardware defect. In the future, I would never recommend buying a used printer, for this reason.

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Please cancel my charge thanks

I have no ability to cancel or refund anything.

I have already provided the above answer, under the fees you've agreed to.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.