Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I can't print in black. I went to trouble-shooting and was…

I can't print in...

I can't print in black. I went to trouble-shooting and was told I had to download to up to date. To install, I need a password. I have no idea what it is. Help

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Brother MFC-J410W

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MFC-J410W?

Since yesterday. I put in a new ink cartridge and it didn't help

3/15/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

If you try to make a copy, directly from the glass (in black only mode) how does that come out? A blank page?

it came out blank.

Thank you for checking.

There is no troubleshooter or updated needed, that is not applicable to this situation, which is a printer hardware issue,

What I need is how to change my log in on Brother so I can download the updated material.

This is not an update issue, there is no update that would fix this.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use, especially on such an old machine.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Thank you, Nathan. When the $39.00 fee came up, I thought I should probably just replace the machine. Thank you. I was told the $5 was refundable. How do I get that back?

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 to ask your question + balance/total upon speaking with me here) noted on the payment page when posting your question for this chat support.

You may have misread. The 5 is not refunded at this point. You'd only get that back if you didn't receive an answer. I provided the above answers, so you pay the 5 + the agreed upon balance. This is a paid support service, it is not free help. For comparison purposes, had you gone to any repair shop they would charge you a minimum $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer I gave you for about 1/3 of that.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
They didn't add any conditions. Just checking. I appreciate your help and agree that you gave the best possible answers.

You're very welcome!

And I apologize for any confusion, not sure what is showing on your end, but all of the fees and processes should have been listed on the payment page, though many people click through without noticing them.

I gave you 5 stars. I hope you got them. Then I ran the cleaning function and it worked. Ta-da! Thanks

Yes I see that now, thank you very much, and glad to hear the cleaning did the trick!