Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Touch screen way too sensitive- HP Envy 7640. Just since…

Touch screen way too...

Touch screen way too sensitive-

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

HP Envy 7640

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

Just since yesterday-had it for a few years and was always fine before

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Recently-have stayed current with updates

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that the touchscreen isn't acting right-won't allow me to send a fax or make a copy

3/15/2018
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

Since the printer was just recently working, my first recommendation is a power reset as

that will drain errors from memory and may resolve the issue. Unplug the

printer power cord and unplug all peripherals. Then leave the printer for

about 5 minutes to let all power drain. Then plug the printer power cord

into a wall socket (not a surge protector or power strip) and then plug the

printer back into all peripherals. Then power up the printer and test to see

if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

David.

Syseng
Syseng, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried exactly what you said. Touch screen still either sticky or too sensitive. Please advise.

Ok then next click the link below to open the printer downloads web page:

click here

Then select the operating system running on the computer connected to the printer using the drop down boxes provided.

Then download the firmware installer and save it to your computer.

Then double click on the downloaded file and follow the prompts exactly in order to update the firmware.

Let me know if you would like me to remote connect to perform the firmware upgrade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got the message "The Firmware Updater does not contain upgrades for your device"

That is odd. Ok then before addressing the firmware again, next do the following:

Power up the printer and when the printer is idle with no noise coming from the printer, disconnect all USB/data cables from the printer.
Remove the ink cartridges from the printer and unplug the power cord.
Wait at least 1 minute.
Plug in the power cord and power up the printer.
Place the ink cartridges back into the printer and close the ink access door on the printer.
Print a calibration page if requested by the printer.
Plug USB and other data cables back into the printer.
Test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still not good.

Ok then next do the following:

Press the unilluminated back button four times to access the support menu.

Navigate to the resets menu.

Select the semi-full reset option.

Restart and let me know if the error still occurs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got to support menu but then couldn't navigate to reset-touch screen not responsive.

Ok then next in the menus navigate to the Printer Maintenance > Restore section and select the Factory Reset, then reset the printer and it should restart will all new settings. Then test the touchscreen and let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unable to use touch screen to get to Printer Maintenance

Does the touch screen not respond in normal mode as well as service mode?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure what you mean by service mode

The printer is supposed to enter service mode when you perform the procedure I outlined above that starts with "Press the unilluminated back button four times to access the support menu"

So what I am asking is, if you do not press that button four times, does the touch screen respond when you try to access menu items?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is either very sensitive or unresponsive. Either way I cannot get the printer to function as I wish. Just now I was able to make a copy by selecting copy, black, and 1 copy, but if I try to send a fax it does not allow me to enter the phone number. It is "senses" my finger near the touch screen and over anticipates my wishes. Then it is difficult to back up to delete unwanted numbers. It is really impossible to enter the phone number correctly. I can print from the computer though.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you given up?

No, I am still working on it.

If you can get it to reset, that should fix the problem. So do the following and see if you can use the touch screen long enough to execute a reset.

Unplug power from the printer.

Wait one minute then plug power back in to the printer.

When the printer starts, immediately press the Return arrow 4 times (even if not lit).

Tap on the support menu.

Then tap the UP arrow and select the Resets menu then select Full Reset.

I am hoping if you do it right away after power up it will respond and reset.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did as you suggested, but no luck. Touch screen not responsive at all.

When you performed the power reset (where you unplug the printer) was the printer powered up or turned off when you pulled the power plug?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it was powered up

If not sure, please try it again with the printer powered up and idle and let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got to support menu and tapped up. It took me to enable/disable. when I followed that it never took me to reset. can't get to reset.
i have been charged for $46 over and above the initial $39. Why is that?

Ok good - after getting into the support menu, when you tap up, what options are available?

Regarding the charges - I do not have visibility into the charges, however you can contact Just Answer Customer Service at the Customer Service link located on your screen and they will help you sort it out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I got to support the only thing I could get to was enable/disable. That got me nowhere. I tried again and couldn't get past support menu. I want to give up.

One other thing you can try is to confirm that the firmware file you downloaded is correct for the printer. The response when you tried to update the firmware seems to indicate a firmware mismatch with the hardware so I would recommend checking the download to make sure the firmware file you tried to use to update the printer is correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34;No software or drivers are available for this product with the selected operating system. Please make a different selection, or visit the product homepage."
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would it help to uninstall and reinstall the printer? The product page gives step by step to uninstall. How would I reinstall?

Yes it may help.

You can uninstall by clicking the Windows Start button then type Programs and Features in the Search box then click on the Program and Features icon that appears. Then click on the printer software and click uninstall, follow the prompts, then reboot.

Then on the same page where you downloaded the firmware, download the full driver package that includes the software, and run it when prompted after download or double click on the downloaded file to start the installation. Then follow the prompts to complete the installation.

Let me know if you have questions with any of the steps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an iMac
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, but again, screen still jumpy or unresponsive. Time to give up I think. Please give me a refund.
Syseng
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer