Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Printer no longer comes on even if plugged onto electricity.

Customer Question
Printer no longer comes...

Printer no longer comes on even if plugged onto electricity. this started after heavy thunderstorm night before.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Canon Maxify MB2340

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MAXIFY MB2340?

ONLY STARTED AFTER THUNDERSTORM otherwise printer was in good working order.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

By the way same problem after the storm the main tower of the computer all USB sockets stopped functioning i.e. for the printer, the mouse, the screen and the keyboard

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
3/15/2018
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc), which would be consistent with the storm you had.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2014 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

please find a local repair shop for me. living in RSA, KwaZulu-Natal, Durban eThekwini Metro Hillcrest Area code 3650

There actually is no local canon authorized shop. It would have to go in for factory service, and is not even worth having it looked at. Just sending it in for basic diagnostics would cost about $125, and not even cover any actual repairs, just for them to tell you the same answer that I did here. You can buy a new printer for less than half of what the minimum repair costs would be.

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.