Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer is telling me there is a problem with the printer…

My printer is telling...

My printer is telling me there is a problem with the printer or ink system. I turned it off several times and unplugged it but the message is still there. I printed 4 items and then received this message.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Who knows?? Lol

3/14/2018
Nathan, Engineer
What is the brand and model of your printer?
HP Officejet 6600
Thanks
This cannot be fixed remotely it is a hardware issue.
Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,
specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).
The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year
service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.
There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of
the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.
While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead,
which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace
the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes
more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with
finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,
No I'm not going to do anything tonight. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow so I will worry about it when I return. Thank you for you help.
You’re very welcome!
Nathan, Engineer