Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a cannon mf628c printer and it says the yellow and…

I have a cannon...

I have a cannon mf628c printer and it says the yellow and magenta are out of toner (which is no way is true) but I can't even print in black and white And i really need to I have a client comiing in like an hour I haveto give documents to

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your MF628C: wirelessly or by USB?

USB

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I I ont think I ever have

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yeah I need to get this to print in black and white I have not time to run out and get new toner

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

The printer will not allow use with any cartridge empty, even in black only.

Try taking the other "empty" cartridges out, give them a good shake side to side several times, pop them back in, then see if it will recognize them and let me know what happens please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I've done that

Are you using generic/"compatible" cartridges, or oem canon cartridges?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cannon ones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have time to run out and get new toner they are litereally going to be here in like an hour

Try taking them out again, and on the side of the cartridge you should see a small clear plastic square, color that over with a sharpie to black it out, or put a piece of thick tape (electrical or duct tape) over that little square, put them back in, and try again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I used a green sharpie I hope that is ok couln't find black
ok the sharpie didn'tr work so I just put some tape on it

The point is to trick the optical sensor in the printer into thinking the cartridge is full, so anything dark should be ok as long as it obscures the sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok the red light is not blinking but it still says I have a notification and it again is telling me the about those two cartridges--who the hell do these people think they are?

Try just pressing the OK button to acknowledge it, then try to print again. Make sure your print job is set to black/gray only (not color mode) before trying to print and see if it will come out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok hang on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Holy shit it printed!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks man you saved my ass a lot of embarrassement

Great! Glad that did the trick for you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey man I'll give you 10 stars
Nathan, Engineer