Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We have a BN-20 that we are setting up for the first time.

We have a BN-20...

We have a BN-20 that we are setting up for the first time. In the utilities it asked us to pick the ink type. We picked Max 3 by mistake. We should have picked Max. How can we change it?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

BN-20

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Yes we are getting errors. I'm not at the printer but I can have some open the lid.

Here is what I did for the Roland BN-20.1. I started up the instillation process. When given the choices of ink configuration, I picked ECO-SOL MAX3 CMYKMt2. I then went through the cleaning process as instructed which included inserting and taking out the cleaning solution cartridge multiple times.3. When asked to install the ink, I put it in and I get the following error.
[Ink Cartridge error : *** ink cartridge ]
A cartridge that cannot be used was installed. Remove the ink cartridge of the indicated color to clear the error. Use an ink cartridge of the specified type. ("***" is the color of the ink)4. Putting in the cleaning solution cartridge makes the error for the slot go away but the rest keep coming up with the same problem.We have ECO-SOL MAX ESL3-CY / ESL3-MG / ESL3-YE / ESL3-BKWe don't have the metallic color but you can insert the cleaning cartridge and it will just ignore that slot and count it as 100% full all the time. This is supported by Roland and is intended. I believe the 2nd Magenta does the same thing as well.I'm assuming the error is because it's looking for MAX3 Ink and not MAX ink which is what we have.
3/14/2018
jeffreybongers
jeffreybongers, Engineer

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Lets get started!

So to clarify have you tried updating the drivers and firmware of the BN-20 printer?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

No we were setting up the Roland BN-20 printer/cutter for the first time.

Understood.

I do see there is a firmware update available from here:http://support.rolanddga.com/_layouts/rolanddga/productdetail.aspx?pm=bn-20

Are you able to install this?

It would be greatly appreciated to rate me 5 stars after this conversation. The rating can be done in the top of this screen.

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

Do you still need assistance regarding this problem?

It would be greatly appreciated to rate my answer after this conversation. The rating can be done in the top of this screen.

Waiting for your reply,

Kind regards,
Jeff

I’ll give the firmware update a try tomorrow.

Understood.

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

When I did the installation process, the drivers were up to date. the driver version was the same as my current one. I also tried updating the firmware but the BN-20 had the most recent firmware as well.

Understood.

What is the message you are getting when trying to print?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

When asked to install the ink, I put it in and I get the following error.
A cartridge that cannot be used was installed. Remove the ink cartridge of the indicated color to clear the error. Use an ink cartridge of the specified type. ("***" is the color of the ink)

Understood.

Can we please try the following:

Try powering off the printer, pull the power cable out of the printer, wait for 1 minute, then put the power cable back in.

After this:

Look inside the cartridge bay. There is a sensor which reads the position of the "ink empty" tab on the cartridge. See that there is no obstruction and the sensor hand is moving freely.

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I did try this today. In fact, you can actually get the sensor in a position so it will read the cartridge as empty. So if it's in the "empty" position, it will mark the cartridge as empty and throw the "Ink Cartridge Empty" error instead of the other one I sent. Once in the proper position, they throw the usual error I sent before. They are all in the proper position now and that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Understood.

please let me look into this.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

jeffreybongers
jeffreybongers, Engineer
Since I haven't heard back from you I guess there is no answer to my question?

Please let me know when you are available.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey